2017 S/V Denis Sullivan Shipboard Science Workshop
August 13 - 19, 2017
Dear Minnesota and Wisconsin Great Lakes Teachers and Educators,
The Center for Great Lakes Literacy and Great Lakes Sea Grant Network, in partnership with the tall ship, S/V Denis Sullivan, invites 3rd-12th grade teachers and nonformal educators who teach in Minnesota or Wisconsin to participate in this FREE workshop. The workshop is August 13-19, and participants will have the opportunity to:
- Sail aboard Wisconsin’s flagship S/V Denis Sullivan and experience Lake Michigan directly on this historic schooner
- Learn from mentor teachers, scientists and CGLL staff about how to incorporate Great Lakes concepts into your teaching
- Join the Denis Sullivan crew to learn about Great Lakes maritime history and the science of sailing
- Find out about free Great Lakes resources for your classroom
- Collect and analyze chemical, physical, and biological data
- Participate in mini-workshops to connect what you’ve learned to classroom applications
- Develop an implementation plan that explains how you will incorporate what you’ve learned into your teachings
- Participate in a Great Lakes Awareness Day in your state
- Earn continuing education hours
- Have the option to obtain graduate credit through Ashland University, Ohio
Apply to be either a Mentor Teacher or a Teacher Learner:
Mentor Teacher: A teacher or nonformal educator who previously participated in a COSEE/CGLL Shipboard Science workshop and is interested in mentoring teachers new to Great Lakes concepts
Teacher Learner: A teacher or nonformal educator who has no previous shipboard science workshop experience
Successful applicants will receive a stipend to cover all onboard expenses, including food. Limited travel support will also be available. Participants will need to be in Milwaukee by 11:00 AM on Sunday, August 13. We will make every effort to facilitate ride-sharing. There will be a ride-share departing from Duluth, MN on Saturday, August 18th. We anticipate completing all workshop activities by noon on Saturday, August 19th.
About the Denis Sullivan
The S/V Denis Sullivan is the world’s only re-creation of a 19th century three-masted Great Lakes schooner, providing a very unique glimpse into the rich maritime history on our freshwater seas. Participants will be expected to work alongside professional crew members on periodic 4-5 hour assigned watches and participate in every component of the voyage, including: raising and lowering sails, dropping and pulling up the anchor, sweeping and mopping, and cleaning the heads (bathrooms). Participants will sleep in co-ed sleeping quarters and will need to climb and descend stairs with a 60 degree incline.
If you are interested in this amazing opportunity, please apply at the Center for Great Lakes Literacy website (cgll.org/opportunites) and provide a letter of recommendation by Monday, June 19. Applicants will be notified if they have been accepted by Monday, June 26.
- If you applied to participate on the 2017 R/V Lake Guardian Shipboard Science Workshop but were not accepted, just send Marte Kitson an email indicating your interest in having your application considered for this workshop. You do not need to reapply.
- The teacher-learner opportunity is open to teachers and educators who have not yet been able to participate in a multi-day shipboard science workshop on the Great Lakes.
- The mentor teacher opportunity is open to teachers and educators who have been able to participate in a shipboard science workshop on the Great Lakes.
- Due to limited funding for travel, you must be a teacher or educator in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
If you have questions, Minnesota educators should please contact Marte Kitson at MN Sea Grant (email@example.com, 218-726-8305), and Wisconsin educators please contact Kathy Kline at WI Sea Grant (firstname.lastname@example.org, 608-262-0645).